About Me

My photo
Bemidji, Minnesota, United States
YIPPER SKIPPER

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Looking Good is a Spiritual Necessity

Looking Good is a Spiritual Necessity
“Looking good is not a luxury, but a spiritual necessity”
This article is about how being beautiful is never enough in Brazil. The former Miss Brazil 2001, for instance, has had surgery 23 times. Everything from nose jobs, liposuction, to cheek implants. She just recently turned 22 years old. Plastic surgery over the last five years has more than doubled in Brazil. The excuses the article shows to flag acceptability in Brazil is that they spend a lot of time outside and on the beaches.
It talks about how, in Brazil, looking good is a spiritual necessity. The vainness of this is incredible. This article shows a very one-sided approach to an aspect of the Brazilian culture, which makes me angry, however, it does make sense.
When I was in Brazil I would hear, daily, that I needed to start a ‘regime’ to loose weight. They said this like it was the first time I had been hearing it and they said this every single day. Total strangers would say it to me on the street. My family would discuss it at cocktail parties and at the lunch table. Thinking of it as a spiritual necessity and as the only way of being spiritually fulfilled helps me to think of these taunts, as I saw them, as “Awe” moments. You know, the kinds of moments that change your life from that point on. Oprah coined the term. People were trying to give me an ‘awe’ moment. Isn’t that special of them.

No comments: